R3 is currently engaged to assist California State Polytechnic University at Pomona (Cal Poly) procure a solid waste hauler for solid waste, recycling, organics, and stable bedding collection services by developing a Franchise Agreement (Agreement) aligned with the University’s sustainability policy. For this engagement, R3 conducted the following main tasks:
- Conduct an initial audit of Cal Poly’s existing baseline service level with comparison of subscribed service levels against the actual levels of provided service to ensure that Cal Poly is currently receiving the services that are paid for;
- Analyze findings from the audit to provide accurate minimum required service level for use in the RFP;
- Determine Cal Poly’s collection need and develop procurement strategy;
- Prepare and issue RFP package;
- Review and evaluate submitted proposals, including assembling an Evaluation Team and conducting interviews;
- Develop a contract management guide for Cal Poly that clearly identifies important terms and conditions of the Agreement, such as monthly, quarterly and annual reports, diversion reports, and outreach and education;
- Provide contract management training and support to one designated Cal Poly staff person with responsibility for management and oversight of the selected hauler; and
- Provide on-call assistance to Cal Poly during the transition to the newly selected hauler following the RFP process.
Project objectives include the following benefits:
- Incorporation of new solid waste services, programs, and rates into Cal Poly’s new Agreement with the selected hauler;
- Compliance with regulatory requirements, including SB 1383; and
- Benchmarking of the Cal Poly solid waste system’s effectiveness, sustainability efforts, and future needs to improve the collection efficiency and material diversion.