On behalf of the Sonoma County Waste Management Agency (SCWMA), R3 incorporated key recommendations and findings about organics material processing in the County of Sonoma (County) to compile a Request for Information (RFI) for future compost facilities that might be sited in the County. This RFI was used to aid the SCWMA in developing a strategic action plan to provide for organics capacity throughout the region, simultaneous with the procurement of solid waste services for several jurisdictions within the County. Following this RFI, R3 was engaged by SCWMA to assist in the procurement of an organics material processing facility in the county, as well as provide the SCWMA solid waste consulting assistance.
R3 acted as an extension of SCWMA staff and assisted in the following aspects of this procurement project:
- Compiled the Request for Proposals (RFP) package and drafted of the program requirements, the processing agreement, and customer rate options;
- Conducted community workshops and SCWMA Board meetings;
- Developed a mailing list and issued the RFP;
- Conducted a pre-proposal conference with potential organics processors;
- Prepared written responses to questions submitted regarding the RFP, and prepared addenda as necessary;
- Conducted interviews with the evaluation team;
- Assisted in the evaluation of responses from processors;
- Assisted SCWMA staff with the presentation of the results of the evaluation process and staff recommendation to the SCWMA Board;
- Conducted clarification or negotiation sessions if necessary; and
- Finalized the processing agreement.
The goals that guided the procurement process included the following:
- Providing the highest level of service to the SCWMA’s residents and businesses at the best cost; and
- Ensuring long-term sustainability and successful operations of organics processing facilities utilized by the SCWMA.